Thursday 9 February 2017

International Cultural Day at Mariya School

Date : 10 February 2017 (Friday)


Yesterday, was the international cultural day at Mariya International School. My children are required to dress up in our national costumes and also had to prepare for a short speech about something important in the country. Need to also bring some traditional delicacies of the home country - which for us is Malaysia. 


The thing is, the school gave instructions 1 day before yesterday, which was on Wednesday requesting for all the above. The traditional costume and the important picture part is definitely easy as we can just print out from google and my children do have Baju Melayu and Baju Kurung as their traditional dresses during last Eid 2016. Here are my children yesterday with their traditional attire. Fatini had already outgrown her Baju Kurung and thus she is wearing dress in this picture. Faiq is wearing Baju Melayu a traditional malay dress for men. The weather yesterday was warm and cosy around 16 degree c. It has been very cold around 9 degree c these past days but luckily yesterday was warm enough.









But the traditional food part, oh mannnnn I am not good with cooking especially those traditional deserts. So, I quickly searched the internet for some sweet traditional desert in Malaysia  and decided to make Seri Muka. Saudian like sweet deserts that one I know for sure thru my interactions with my Quran class which I attended since 1 and a half year ago ( will blog about my Quran Class later as this is new this blog). Referred to the following food blog for my kueh seri muka.

http://aziejaya.blogspot.com/2014/09/kuih-seri-muka-istimewa-azie-kitchen.html


Since I only have the steamer but do not have the plate called 'talam' to make kueh seri muka, I started to google for easier recipes which is sort of similar but I can use oven. Found out that BIngka Bakar is of the similar taste as kueh seri muka minus the glutinous rice part layering underneath. Asked my neighbour for the talam but they have yet to reply me. I need to act quick or else I will have enough time to cook. Here is recipe for kueh bakar:


http://aziejaya.blogspot.com/2016/06/kuih-bakar-pandan-mudah-dan-sedap.html


So, I decided to make kueh makar instead of the famous Seri Muka. The soaked glutinous rice I planned to do 'Pulut Kuning'  for our meal at home since my children loves the dish. Half way thru making the barter for Bingka Bakar, my neighbour sent the talam. since I already made double the size of barter for Bingka Bakar, and really want to try making seri muka, I have to split the pandan layer into 2 sets.


So here are the traditional delicacies that I made, Instead of 1 dish, it became 2 dishes. Alhamdulillah the trial cook was successful. 


 Kueh talam baking in the oven


Kueh Seri muka in the steamer 


The end product after cooled


Straining off the pandan barter to make both talam bakar and kueh seri muka.


The children came back from school very happy. Faiq said that at school he was filmed for this speech about the Petronas Twin Towers - KLCC which is the tallest twin tower in the world. Happy children makes a happy mommy. Signing off now as it is already 4 am in the morning.


Lot's of Love,
Nor Farihan Mohd Yatim
Jubail, Saudi Arabia



  

No comments:

Post a Comment